SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. (AP) — A California board once again approved parole Wednesday for former Charles Manson follower Bruce Davis, but before he's released he'll have to get past Gov. Jerry Brown — who chose to keep him in prison under the same circumstances just last year.
Davis, 71, made his 28th appearance before a Department of Corrections Board of Parole Hearings at the California Men's Colony near San Luis Obispo.
He has been in prison for nearly 43 years, sentenced with Manson and others for the 1969 murders of musician Gary Hinman and stuntman ranch hand Donald "Shorty" Shea. He long maintained that he was a bystander in the killings, but in recent years he has acknowledged his shared responsibility.
Hoddle St killer Julian Knight continues battle for computer after being labelled vexatious litigant
HODDLE St mass murderer Julian Knight has been granted another opportunity to appear in court.
The Hoddle Street Killer — who murdered seven people and injured 19 in Melbourne in one of the country’s worst massacres in 1987 — has been fighting to get a computer in his cell at Port Phillip Prison since 2006, two years after he was declared a vexatious litigant.
As a vexatious litigant, he must seek court permission before starting a proceeding and prove to the court his application would not be doomed to fail.
BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will argue for dismissal of some of the charges against him during a court hearing a day after the anniversary of the deadly blasts.
Tsarnaev's lawyers will also make additional arguments on their request to lift special prison restrictions placed on Tsarnaev while he awaits trial for allegedly setting off homemade bombs that killed three people and injured more than 260.
U.S. District Judge George O'Toole Jr. said in an electronic notice Wednesday that a hearing on those requests will be held on April 16.
Father of Sandy Hook Killer: 'You Can't Get Any More Evil'
Speaking publicly for the first time, the father of the Newtown, Conn., school killer says he wishes his son had never been born.
In one of a series of interviews with The New Yorker that began in September, Peter Lanza says this of his son Adam, 20, who killed his mother, Nancy, before gunning down 20 pupils, six staff members and himself at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012:
"You can't get any more evil. How much do I beat up on myself about the fact that he's my son? A lot."
Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
LIMA, Peru (AP) — Peru's government says that once Dutch citizen Joran van der Sloot completes his murder conviction in 2038, he will be extradited to the United States to face trial on charges he extorted and defrauded the mother of a young American woman for whose disappearance he is the chief suspect.
A decree published Sunday in Peru's official gazette says he will be extradited under an indictment in U.S. District Court in the state of Alabama.
Van der Sloot is serving 28 years in prison after being convicted of killing 21-year-old Peruvian student Stephany Flores after meeting her in a Lima casino.
CHICAGO (AP) — A former handyman serving life in prison for the 1993 murder of seven people at a suburban Chicago restaurant has been awarded nearly a half-million dollars in a civil lawsuit in which he alleged a jail guard punched him in the face.
Victims' relatives Sunday criticized jurors' decision for James Degorski, who, with an accomplice, shot and stabbed two restaurant owners and five workers at Brown's Chicken and Pasta during a botched robbery. Their bodies were found in a walk-in cooler and freezer.
Degorski, now 41, accused a Cook County Jail guard of punching him and breaking his cheekbone and eye socket in 2002 — just after Degorski's arrest in what had been one of the most notorious, unsolved murder cases in Illinois history.
San Mateo County 1976 slayings linked to old Reno murder
New evidence linking a series of unsolved slayings of women in San Mateo County to a case in Reno has reinvigorated the investigation, the FBI said Thursday.
The FBI announced the launch of a task force looking into the grisly killings of five young women on the Peninsula in the first four months of 1976, and their connection to the murder of a 19-year-old University of Nevada student during that same time period. Investigators believe the San Mateo County killer was an accomplice in the Reno case.
The spree began on Jan. 8, 1976, when the body of 18-year-old Ronnie Cascio was discovered at the Sharp Park Golf Course in her hometown of Pacifica. By April the bodies of five young women had been found, with three of the bodies showing evidence of sexual assault.
Murders Prompt Fears of a Serial Killer in Washington D.C. Suburbs
Residents in the wealthy Washington D.C. suburb of Alexandria were warned today that a serial killer may be on the loose.
The February shooting death of Ruthanne Lodato is being investigating in connection with two other unsolved murders that took place in similar circumstances just blocks from each other, police announced Thursday.
Alexandria Police Chief Earl Cook said at a press conference that they believe Lodato's killer may be the same man suspected of killing Nancy Dunning in December 2003 and Ronald Kirby last November, and now police have issued their strongest hint yet that a serial killer is on the loose after ballistics have matched a gun to three separate shootings spanning ten years, but as yet there is no clear motive or links between the victims other than the gun.
Missouri serial killer Joseph Franklin, a White Supremacist, was executed by lethal injection today after the Supreme Court denied his appeal. Sixty-three-year-old Franklin's execution was delayed after the German maker of Propofol refused to allow the drug to be used for capital punishment. This forced Missouri officials to change their lethal injection protocol.
Franklin was convicted of killing eight people in racially motivated attacks targeting African Americans and Jews. He shot Flynt after Hustler published photos of an inter-racial couple.
Flynt, who was left paralyzed by the incident, argued against Franklin's execution saying life in prison was a sufficient sentence.